The teeth problems have become very common even these days, and all thanks to the junk food and irregular food habits developed among us. The overall oral health including the teeth put us in agony if they are not fine. The whole body language changes and if you are among the phobic, fearing to go to the dentist, and the situation worsens.
In such situations, you can take the help of sedation dentistry and it helps in removing your anxiety. But what is sedation dentistry – Let us understand the term.
It is medication used by the dentist for making the patients feel relaxed during dental procedures. There are four levels of sedation dentistry as stated below:
- Minimal sedation is a state, wherein you are relaxed and awake.
- Moderate sedation in which you are not able to speak properly and just slur. You are not able to remember the procedures done.
- Deep sedation means you can be awakened though you are on the edge of consciousness.
- General anesthesia – completely unconsciousness.
Types of Sedation:
Besides the different levels, there are different types of sedation used. The following are the main types of sedation:
- Inhaled minimal sedation:
In this type, nitrous oxide is combined with oxygen and supplied through mask. The supply of gas is controlled as per the requirement. This type of sedation gives relaxed feeling and you are able to do your routine work after the procedure.
- Oral sedation:
The oral sedation is in the form of pills – typical Halcion. The dosage of the pills can be minimal or moderate as per the requirement. If you are taking minimal dosage you feel drowsiness and if you take moderate you will feel groggy and fall asleep for a while. The pills are usually given an hour before the dentistry procedure is started.
- IV moderate sedation:
In this type, the sedative drug is given through vein and thus is reacts quickly. This type of sedation is given under emergency or if you don’t have enough time to wait. Moreover, the level of sedation can be controlled.
- General anesthesia:
If the treatment requires complete unconsciousness, then general anesthesia is provided. In this procedure, you are deep asleep and you are awakened either through medication or till its effect wear off.
Who Requires Sedation?
Sedation is required by any person irrespective of age and gender. If you are in the category of people
- who fear sitting on the dentistry seat
- who have very sensitive oral health or bad gag reflex
- who have very bad oral health and needs long dental procedure
What about safety?
Though anesthesia always carries a risk with its intake, it can be safe if given under supervised guidance by the experienced doctor. The doctor consults the patient’s previous history before starting the sedation. People who are obese, prone to allergy or have obstructive sleeping apnea might develop complications. However you have to check for yourself with the below conditions:
- The doctor should ask you for the medical history and the current medications going on.
- The dosage should be as per the FDA recommendation and based on your age and health.
- The procedure and steps followed for the sedation and the previous sedation experience the dentist is having in similar process.
- The reversal process and availability of required drugs, artificial ventilation, oxygen etc. after the medication is done to keep awake. The dentist in Fort Worth takes utmost care of the safety and follows all the guidelines recommended by American Dental Association.
You will see from the above there is always a medicine for you for your fear. By following sedation dentistry you will not only have teeth procedure done right by without bothering about the pain occurrence.
Arthur Cooper with one of the best dentist in Fort Worth, and they specialize in various treatments and checkups like, dental cleanings, bruxism, endodontic therapy, dental implants, oral cancer screening, dental exam, teeth whitening and sedation dentistry. Please visit their website to contact them.